CONTACT: Greg Sowell
Police Department P.I.O.
With Halloween approaching next Tuesday, parents and children who plan to trick-or-treat should be careful and safety-conscious.
Sgt. Greg Sowell, NPD Public Information Officer, offers the following safety suggestions that can help keep Halloween safe and fun for all.
• Costumes should be flame retardant, and be decorated with reflective tape. If out after dark, a flashlight and cell phone should be carried.
• Costumes should fit well, to prevent tripping. Masks should fit properly and not obstruct visibility.
• Swords, knives and similar costume accessories should be made of flexible plastic or other soft material.
• An adult should always accompany young children. Children should WALK, never run, from house to house. Use sidewalks where possible.
• Avoid crossing the street in the middle of the block, and walk facing oncoming traffic. Be careful going between parked cars.
• Trick or Treaters should only go to homes of people they know, and who have porch lights on.
• All treats should be inspected by an adult prior to consuming.
Motorists are urged to use extreme caution, especially in residential areas Tuesday evening.
The Nacogdoches Police Department will heavily patrol neighborhoods during Halloween to monitor traffic and deter vandalism.